Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dear Bruce Springsteen, You're A Douche.


Yesterday I was lucky enough (or so I thought) to buy two tickets to see Bruce Springsteen at the Bryce Jordan Center at Penn State. The tickets were originally $100 apiece and I bought them for $20 each. I was happy with the deal I got and we even managed to score two wristbands so we could stand on the floor level.

I am not the biggest Springsteen fan. I like some of his hits, but I'm not a diehard like most of the people that were there.

But let's cut to the chase. Bruce played for about 2 hours nonstop before the encore and I didn't recognize most of the songs he played. I was still enjoying myself, however, because he is a very good entertainer and most of his music wasn't bad. Plus, I just figured he was setting up for an awesome encore with all of his hits.

I was wrong. He played a nearly 45 minute long encore, while managing to only play one or two of his hits (none of which were my favorites). He even played a couple songs that weren't even originally sung by him.

After all was said and done, he hadn't played "Glory Days" or "Born in the U.S.A.", arguably two of his most popular songs and songs I figured he would definitely perform. My friend Mark and I were shocked. As soon as Springsteen and the E Street Band (his crew of 50 and older men and women who think they are still hip and relevant) left the stage, we stood there for a couple minutes expecting them to come back onto the stage and say "just kidding" or something along those lines.

That never happened. Luckily I had only spent $20 on the concert so I didn't waste too much money, but if I had spent full price I would have rioted.

Someone told me after the concert that Bruce doesn't like to play his older hits and he likes to keep it fresh by playing stuff from his new CDs. And my response to that is, fuck you Bruce. How do you think you got popular? It sure as shit wasn't with all of your new crap. How are you going to charge your fans 100 bucks a pop, and then deny them the opportunity to hear your most popular songs live?

I guess he figures that it's worth the large amount of money to see him sweat for 3 hours while he and his band fight off heat exhaustion and heart failure, which I do have to say was rather impressive. More than once I thought I saw Bruce clutching his heart and looking like he was in immense pain. But by god, that old piece of shit lived. It would have been cool to see his last show ever (the only silver lining in an otherwise disappointing concert), but alas it was not to be.

But, let this serve as a warning to any of you that want to see "The Boss" in concert. It's entertaining to watch him struggle to survive for three hours (it kind of reminds me of a bad reality show) but expect to hear a lot of liberal propaganda and none of your favorite songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment